Colorado - Do I need Responsible Vendor Training?Oct 23, 2023
We know time is the most precious commodity in the world, so we'll save you some of it.
So, we're going to roleplay this conversation (since we've had this conversation with so many of our partners in the cannabis industry in Colorado)...
You: Is my team required to get "Responsible Vendor Training" in Colorado to operate?
- 1-word answer: No.
- Short answer: You and your team can minimize a LOT of potential liability by receiving your "Responsible Vendor" designation by the Marijuana Enforcement Division and Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE).
- Long answer: Per Rule 8-235 (C)(2)(d), if a Regulated Marijuana Business is found to be in violation, previously established and maintained "Responsible Vendor" designation shall be considered a mitigating factor when considering a penalty or sanctions as a result of a violation.
- Further, "Responsible Vendor" training in Colorado has been proven to be effective in developing crucial skills and is highly recommended by members across the nation (National Library of Medicine 2019)
- Bottom line: think of "Responsible Vendor Training" like an insurance policy to minimize future downside, penalties, and sanctions
You: I believe you...but show us the regulation?
Us: Sure - that's what we live and breathe:
- Designation: "to be designated a 'responsible vendor' as a Regulated Marijuana Business all Controlling Beneficial Owners with day-to-day operational control of the Licensed Premises, management personnel with responsibility over sales or training of employees who engage in sales or other consumer, primary caregiver, or patient interactions, and Employee Licensees involved in the handling and Transfer of Regulated Marijuana must have successfully completed an Approved Training Program....within 90 days of becoming employed or
an owner." (1 CCR 212-3-505(B, D)
- Renewal: "After initial successful completion of a responsible vendor program...shall successfully complete Approved Training Program once every two years...to maintain its designation as a “responsible vendor.” (1 CCR 212-3-505(D)
You: What's even covered in your training?
Us: We cover...
- What's required by the MED - Health and safety concerns for marijuana use, diversion prevention and prevention of sales to minors, quantity limits, acceptable forms of identification, and other important key state laws and rules
- And more - retail AND non-retail related training, common scenarios that you'll encounter, the science behind cannabis, and more!
- And it's never the same course twice with the American Cannabis Training Association - the MED requires RVT to be updated within 30 days of any applicable regulatory or policy changes
- And, we LOVE feedback - ACTA's team reads EVERY single comment and survey you submit. Not enjoying your time with ACTA? Our Magic Formula: Feedback + Time + Effort = Feedback Addressed!
You: Is that it? Any other training requirements?
Us: So, 2-hours of Responsible Vendor Training can mitigate significant downside, but in addition to this, your team needs training depending on your role, including:
- Delivery Licensee Training: Required for owners and employees of licensees with valid delivery permit to maintain Responsible Vendor Designation (3-520)
- Hospitality Licensee Training: Required for owners and employees of Licensed Hospitality Businesses to maintain Responsible Vendor Designation (3-520)
- Manufacturing Training
- Edible Products: "Food Handler Certificate for employees and owners (3-335(1)(b)"
- Marijuana Concentrate Manufacturing: "Adequate training to every Owner Licensee or Employee Licensee prior to that individual undertaking any step in the process of producing a Retail Marijuana (6-815(B)(7)) and Medical (5-315(B)(7)) Marijuana Concentrate
- Additional Personnel Training: "All personnel directly involved in the manufacture and handling of Audited Product must be trained...and must undergo annual refresher training... proficiency in hand hygiene, cleaning and sanitizing, performing necessary calculations, measuring and mixing, and documenting the manufacturing process including master formulation records and batch manufacturing records (6-325)"
- Inventory Tracking: " In order to obtain an Inventory Tracking System Administrator account, a Person must attend and successfully complete all required Inventory Tracking System training (3-805(B)(2))"
- Test Batch Collector: "To become a Designated Test Batch Collector an Owner Licensee or Employee Licensee involved in the Sample Increment Collection of Regulated Marijuana must be designated by a manager or Owner Licensee as such and must also complete either in-house training provided by the Regulated Marijuana Business or training from a third-party vendor (4-110(B)(1)"
- Standard Operating Procedures Documentation and Training: for both Retail (6-110) and Medical (5-115) Marijuana Stores
Whew, sorry that's a lot - we know.
And, we pay attention to this - every single day!
That's why we're here at the American Cannabis Training Association: to tailor our award-winning curriculum to your team's needs. Just contact us here OR email us at hello AT actatraining.org!
You: Got it - who provides Responsible Vendor Training and other training needed?
Us: The American Cannabis Training Association is a leading, national provider of cannabis compliance education. That's all we do - we just wake up, read up on regs, train your teams, track your schedules and go to sleep. And, our mission is very simple...the lowest priced training that is ridiculously convenient and actually enjoyable.
You: How do I sign up?
Us: If you need just 1 course, buy it directly here.
If you need to train a group, then just contact us here OR email us at hello AT actatraining.org, and we'll make sure to customize our offer on what's best for your team.
You: Anything else?
Us: Listen - we get it. Your life in the industry is really busy with the unique rules, constant changes, and the growing number of stakeholders (regulators, community, shareholders, employees, and most importantly, your loved ones). We've been through it and have helped many people who've gone through the same thing. That's why we create a customized dashboard that helps you track all employees' training schedule and implement our "automation on autopilot" to ensure that compliant training is NOT something you have to worry about at all.
Need certification for just yourself? Get certified directly HERE.
Need group certification? Contact us for exclusive group discounts today!
Want tips and tricks to changing regulations?
We'll give you the short summary of what you need to know when it comes to cannabis regulations - join us on this journey!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.